Courses for GCE AL Exam

The General Certificate of Education (GCE) is an internationally recognized academic qualification at the secondary level. Also known as A Levels, which stands for Advanced Level, GCE qualifications are usually required for students who wish to attend university or study in the United Kingdom. Candidates may take the GCE at the Advanced Subsidiary (AS) or Advanced (A) Levels, depending on the course they intend to follow. Students typically take GCE in Year 10-11 and AS/A Level exams in Year 12-13.

  • United Kingdom
  • Administered by two exam boards in Hong Kong: Cambridge and Edexcel
  • Examinations for a variety of subjects
  • In-depth essay questions
  • Recognized as qualifications for entrance into UK universities (certain United States universities also recognise GCE-AL)

Check Schedule Frequently Asked Questions

What we offer:

  • Chinese
  • Mathematics C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, S1
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Business Studies
  • Economics

Private Lessons and Camps are also available. Please call 2577 7844 (Main campus) / 2718 3000 (Kowloon campus) or submit an online enquiry form for more details.

Questions about GCE AS/AL courses

What exam boards and modules are available?

There are many exam boards and a combination of many different modules depending on the school — the best thing to do is directly contact the schools and ask them to provide the syllabus, or alternatively, check online. 

I'm a self-study student. When do I need to take the exams?

This depends on the exam board, subject and student's choice. Year by year dates are available from the websites of each exam board. NTK can keep you up-to-date depending on the above factors.

How does a GCE AS / AL qualification help in applying for a university in Hong Kong or overseas?

GCE is a necessary, higher level qualification. There are other options like BTECH, HND and IB, so it really depends on what your strengths and weaknesses are. A GCE qualification is a well-recognized higher level qualification that will help your chances of getting into university in Hong Kong and overseas.

What is the difference between an AS and AL exam module?

The A Level is a two-year programme –- the first year is called the Advanced Subsidiary (AS) Level, which you must complete in order to progress into A Level.

Why there are so many different exam boards? Is there an "easier" exam board I can follow so that I can obtain higher marks?

What is deemed easier or harder depends entirely on your strengths and weaknesses. In order to assess this, NTK can look at your previous grades, give you a diagnostic test or set up a consultation to see what exam board best suits you.