The new IBDP Science Syllabus in 2016
The new IBDP science syllabus will commence in 2016. As a result, first year IBDP students are expected to see some major changes in class starting September 2014. The modified syllabus is designed to ensure learning materials remain up-to-date and place stronger emphasis on experimental skills and techniques.
So, what's the difference between the old and new syllabus? The new syllabus...
- Places a greater weight on the external assessment.
- Requires students to conduct only one scientific investigation for the internal assessment and to engage in a wider range of activities such as simulation, modelling and data analysis.
- Addresses diploma-wide issues, TOK (including ethical implications), and international mindedness.
- Requires students to apply more mathematical skills and have a better understanding of experimental skills and integrated concepts in different topics.
- Includes the elements of Nature of Science in exam topics across different subjects.
Check Out The New Assessment Format
External Assessment [80%]
The assessment model of each paper has been modified to the following structure:
|Test Section||Paper 1||Paper 2||Paper 3|
|Duration||SL||45 minutes||1 hour 15 minutes||1 hour|
|HL||1 hour||1 hour 15 minutes||1 hour 15 minutes|
|Question Types||Multiple-choice questions||
Internal Assessment [20%]
The new assessment model assesses the final report of the individual investigation based on the following marking scheme with five criteria:
How can students better prepare for the new syllabus?
Students need to understand how the test content is organized and scored. Since exam questions based on experimental skills and techniques require students to integrate the concepts throughout the course, it is crucial for students to take good notes in class, complete homework and review study material on a regular basis.
To prepare students for the IBDP Science exam, teachers with over ten years of experience in IB assessment at NTK have designed various courses tailored to the new IBDP syllabus. It provides students with....
- Course notes with detailed explanation and diagrams (click here to view the sample course material for each subject).
- Thousands of exam-style questions for each subject.
- Hands-on experience to familiarize students with the Internal Assessment, also known as the Personal Scientific Investigation.
Exam drilling courses, private 1-on-1 and private group lessons are available throughout the year. Please click here for the course schedule.
For more information or to register, please call 2577 7844 to speak with one of our Customer Relationship Officers.